Universal set symbol

Chris's picture

Hello all, may I know if there is anyone here know how to produce the attached Universal set symbol in SWP 5.5?

AttachmentSize
set.png7.78 KB

From what I can tell, it

From what I can tell, it looks like you are showing Unicode character 2130 (see https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2100.pdf).  My search finds that the closest using only LaTeX is the calligraphic tag (see http://milde.users.sourceforge.net/LUCR/Math/unimathsymbols.pdf).  Using Unicode characters directly in Version 5.5 can be difficult and would mean using Lambda (for DVI) or XeLaTeX (for PDF) as the compile engine.  XeLaTeX is not included with Version 5.5.  Using an inline graphics may be easier than using XeLaTeX.

Chris's picture

Thanks George. How about if

Thanks George. How about if using SWP 6.0?

Barry MacKichan's picture

In version 6 you can do the

In version 6 you can do the following:

1. In any document, open the source tab in the main window.

2. Enter the following (without quotes) "ℰ"

3. Switch back to normal view. You should see the universal set symbol.

4. Make sure the Fragments pane is visible in one of the side bars.

5. Select the symbol and drag it to the Fragments pane. Enter the name and description for the symbol, and click OK.

6. You now have a fragment for the symbol. Double clicking it should insert the symbol at the cursor position.

--Barry

Barry MacKichan's picture

One more thing. Once you have

One more thing. Once you have the character in a document, you can copy it to make an autosubstitution. The attached image shows the dialog after I have copied the symbol and clicked on Tools/Automatic substitution....

Be sure the click the Save button. This will allow you to type 'uss' (or whatever you choose) in mathematics, and it will result in the Universal set symbol.

--Barry

Chris's picture

Great! Thanks Barry. I look

Great! Thanks Barry. I look forward to a more stable release before migrating totally to v6. Although I have acquired the license to v6, I am still using v5.5 due to the stability of the program with the system and the program hardly crash on Windows. That’s how good v5.5 is.