Some Questions

hjay's picture

1. In Preamble, I have title, MAKE TILE, MAKE TOC, MAKE LOF, MAKE LOT; after type setting, they are on not seperate pages. How to make them( Table of Contents, List of Figures, List of Tables) listed on separate pages?

2. MAKE LOT option

I read in HELP files that "From the Fragments popup list, click Table - (4x3, floating) or, from the File menu, import the fragment. But I did not find these in my menu.

I saved my table as a FRAGMENT and import it but it does not allow me change the properties related to caption and others.

3. Can I use roman page number for first several pages? How can I change the starting page number, say not from i but ii?

Thanks

John MacKendrick's picture

If you start with the

If you start with the Standard LaTeX Book shell, then the issues described in questions #1 and #3 will automatically be solved. To do this, choose File, New, Standard LaTeX, and choose Standard LaTeX book as the shell.

To import the Table - (4x3, floating) fragment, choose File, Import Fragment, select "Table - (4x3, floating).frg" and click Open.  Alternatively, you can hold down the <Alt> key and press 4 to bring up the Fragment pop-up menu.

hjay's picture

To import the Table - (4x3,

To import the Table - (4x3, floating) fragment, choose File, Import Fragment, select "Table - (4x3, floating).frg" and click Open

I do not have this file with my SWP (v5.5)

For question 3, actually I have some other pages preceding the Table of Contents and LOF LOT; And I do not need page numbers on those preceding pages but I need page numbers for Table of Contents starting from iii or iv;

I am not sure if my situation is clearly explained.

If you would post a document

If you would post a document that includes the pages preceding the Table of Contents or if you send it to support@mackichan.com, then we should be able to provide specific advice on how to specify that the Table of Contents starts at iii or iv.

Also, we can place a sample of the Table - (4x3, floating) fragment in the document so that you can save it as a fragment.

hjay's picture

The files preceding the main

The files preceding the main article are created in other softwares.

I thought if I could create several blank pages before TOC and LOF such that TOC and LOF would start at iii or iv, it seems easier.

Therefore, is it possible to add TOC and LOF in the article instead of in the PREAMBLE. If so, I can just leave several blank pages before them. When I need to assemble the doc, I can replace those blank pages with my preceding docs (already with page numbers i ii iii or so.

To have the table of contents

To have the table of contents entered elsewhere in the document, you can insert encapsulated TeX fields in the body of your document which read

\tableofcontents

and

\listoftables

and

\listoffigures

When you do this, you will have to make sure that LaTeX goes through three passes when you print, preview, or compile the document.

You can set the page number by inserting a TeX field that reads

\setcounter{page}{x}

where x is the page number that you need.

By the way, if you open up the attached document, you can highlight the contents and save it as a fragment. This will create a fragment that behaves in the same way as the Table - (4x3, floating).frg fragment described in the help.

hjay's picture

How to include references in

How to include references in the TOC? In my case, I just use Bibliography items for references. It generates section name REFERENCES but REFERENCES is not included in the TOC.

Also how to set page counter to Roman numbers? it seems that \setcounter{page}{iii} does not work.

Thanks

To enter the page number as

To enter the page number as 3, enter

\setcounter{page}{3}

To have it be numbered with roman numerals, enter the

\pagenumbering{roman}

command in a TeX field. At a later point in the document, you may want to add the

\pagenumbering{arabic}

command to have the numbering reset to 1.

You can add the tocbibind package to your document to have the References appear in the table of contents.  See

http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/530.htm

for more information about this package.

hjay's picture

Great! One more issue, how to

Great! One more issue, how to make caption above the table?

If you use the "Table - (4x3,

If you use the "Table - (4x3, floating).frg" to create captions, then move the "caption" TeX field from the right of the table to the left.