Formatting section headings

minute's picture

I would like to make all section headings (e.g., Abstract, Introduction, Table of Content, List of Tables, Chapter 1, etc) have the same format (e.g., font size, font type, space from top of the page to the heading and spaces from the heading to the body text).

Please let me know how to do that. Thanks very much for your help.

Most typesetting

Most typesetting specifications, in particular the standard LaTeX article, book, and report typesetting specifications, have a consistent appearance for all section headings.  The abstract is not usually a section heading, but you could insert an unnumbered section for the abstract.

If you are interested in changing the default appearance of the section headings, then investigate the sectsty package.  See the Typesetting Documents manual and/or use Help, Search to find more information about using sectsty.

minute's picture

Hi George, Please let me know

Hi George,

Please let me know how to insert an unnumbered section for the abstract.

In addition, could you please help me formatting the space for the Table of Content, The List of Tables and the List of Figure. By space, I mean the spacing from the top of the page to Table Of Content and from Table of Content to the body text.

Most of the item in my table of content (and the list of table) is single-spaced. However, some of them are double-spaced. Please let me know how to fix that

Thanks

After entering a paragraph

After entering a paragraph tagged as a section heading, move the cursor to the beginning of the paragraph.  Select Edit, Properties and the Section Properties dialog will appear where you can select section numbering to be Numbered or Unnumbered.

The spacing for the "Table of Contents" section heading would be controlled by the same mechanism that controls all other similar section headings.  I'm not sure what is needed to change the distance from the bottom of the section heading to the begining of the contents entries without doing some research and also without knowing the typesetting specification that you are looking at.

A sample document would be needed to see what is causing the single versus double spacing of contents entries. 

Post a sample document that shows what you are seeing if you need additional assistance.

minute's picture

Hi George, Thanks very much

Hi George,

Thanks very much for your response.

I post a sample of my disseration so that you can help me better.

There are several problems with the sample:

1. The heading space: Please look at the header of Table of Content, Abstract, Chapter 1, Chapter 2 and Chapter 3. They have different spacing from the top of the page to the heading and from the heading to the body text. Please pay particular attention of the heading of chaper 2 and chapter 3. They have different spacing from the "CHAPTER #" to the title of the chapter and from the title of the chapter to the "Introduction". I would like all the heading to have the same spacing.

2. In the table of content, chapter 2 have single spacing while chapter 3 have double spacing.

3. In chapter 3, the spacing between the first and second paragraph is double. I have this problems happend throughout my dissertation. Sometime it happened between paragraphs, sometime it appears between lines.

4. I would like the "Chapter" in the table of content removed. Please help me with that.

Thanks very much for your help

minute's picture

Could anyone help me?

Could anyone help me?