Change title of the table of contents

minute's picture

I want to change the title of table of content from Contents to TABLE OF CONTENTS. Could anyone help me with that. Thanks very much!

Success will depend on the

Success will depend on the typesetting specification being used.  Some typesetting specifictions use text strings directly.  If the typesetting specificaiton you are using is set up to allow easy modification, then adding the following to the document preamble would work:

\renewcommand{\contentsname}{TABLE OF CONTENTS}

If this doesn't work, post a sample document so the typesetting specification being used can be determined.

minute's picture

Thanks George for your quick

Thanks George for your quick response. It works for me but the TABLE OF CONTENTS also appear as a header in all of my document pages. In addition, I would like to adjust the font size as well as make the TABLE OF CONTENTS centered in the Table of Contents section. Could you please help me with that ? Thanks very much!

Post a sample document.  The

Post a sample document.  The running header is usually updated with new chapters/sections. 

minute's picture

Hi George, I have done this

Hi George,

I have done this with the tocloft package and the command

\renewcommand{\cftmarktoc}{TABLE OF CONTENTS}

in the preamble.

Now I am strugling with re-positioning the page number from top-right corner to bottom-center. In addition, at the beginning of each chapter, there is no page number. I would like to have the page number back on. Could you please help me with that?

Thanks very much!

Use the fancyhdr package to

Use the fancyhdr package to customize your running headers and footers.  See the Typesetting Documents manual, SW help system, or search our web site.

The formatting for the chapter title page is often handled by the class authors when the chapter title page is formatted.  The hack to override this would be to add a TeX field with \thispagestyle{plain} in the first Body Text paragraph of each chapter.  Adjusting this globally would require knowing the typesetting specification being used.

minute's picture

Hi George, I tried the

Hi George,

I tried the fancyhdr package with

\pagestyle{fancy}
\fancyhf{}
\cfoot{\thepage}

But it does not work. Could you please help me?

No, not until you post a

No, not until you post a sample document.  The possibilities are almost limitless without knowing specifics.

tomprice's picture

Please post a minimum

Please post a minimum example of your file (www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html). Include some instructions on what you want in the headers and footers of your document. Tom

minute's picture

Hi George and Tom Attached

Hi George and Tom

Attached please find the example.

I need to move the page number from top-right corner to the bottom-center. I also want the page number appears on the first page of each chapter. Thanks!

tomprice's picture

We will need the *.tex file

We will need the *.tex file and not the PDF typeset file. 

minute's picture

Sorry Tom. Here is the tex

Sorry Tom. Here is the tex file. Thanks!

John MacKendrick's picture

I placed two

I placed two commands

\thispagestyle{fancy}
\pagestyle{fancy}

in the body text just after the chapter head and it seems to do what you want.

You will also want to add

\thispagestyle{fancy}

to the beginning of chapter 2.

See the attached example.

minute's picture

Thanks John. It works great

Thanks John. It works great for me. I have to put your command after each chapter header.

Could any of you help me putting a BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH at the end of the example. I would like it to be listed in the table of contents too. Thanks!