Imported pictures issue -- suddenly can't control the dimensions

bob_nau's picture

I've been working on a book manuscript that contains many imported pictures (mainly graphs) in wmf format.  Until today, I was able to edit their properties and size them arbitrarily.  Typically I was shrinking them to 40% of their original size while maintaining the aspect ratio, and most of them ended up about 4 inches wide on the printed page.  Suddenly they are all limited to 1.99" or 2.20" in width:  when I right-click on the figure and choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu, it will not size them any larger than that in inches, and the percentage scaling option also gets an upper bound (usually on the order of 20% or less) that prevents making the picture any larger than that.    This is happening for all newly imported pictures, and it also happens to existing pictures if I go look at their properties.  If I don't touch them, they retain their former correct (larger) sizes when the document is compiled, but they get shrunk to the new limits if I open the graphic properties dialog box.  This is happening on two different computers with both new and old files.   I also tried importing in eps format--same result.  Any ideas?

There are some default

There are some default settings for graphics sizes, but I don't know of anything that would restrict the graphics to some set size.

Post a .rap file that is a sample document and graphics where you see the problem.  This will allow checking if the problem is document specific or something else on your system.  If it is something on your system, then deleting the current program registry information may help (use Step 1 ONLY from http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/357.htm).

bob_nau's picture

More details, more

More details, more weirdness.  Yesterday the problem temporarily disappeared on 1 of my 3 computers (the one running Windows XP).  Graphs were sized correctly (cropped to 0" on all sides) and they maintained the original horizontal and vertical scale factors (60% for my test graph) when their properties were viewed, and they could be scaled up and down without any problem, and the file could be edited and saved and re-loaded and it still worked fine.   Old files also worked fine.     I then transferred the file I was working on to both my other computers (both running Windows 7), and it worked OK on one of them but not on the other.  Then I went back to the first computer, and it was no longer working correctly there.  I had left the file open there (but in a just-saved condition, with no changes since the last save), and the scaling was screwed up as before.   Meanwhile I've gotten a better fix on what is happening.   When the properties of a graph are viewed, the maintain-aspect-ratio setting magically gets turned off and the horizontal scale factor is changed so as to reduce the width of the graph (its horizontal size parameter) to 1.99", and the arrow button that would normally allow you to increase the horizontal size is disabled (grayed out) so that you cannot manually restore the original width.  Then the crop-left and crop-right settings are changed to negative numbers so as to restore the original frame dimensions.  What you have at this point is a frame that is exactly the same size as the original one, but inside it the contents of the original frame are horizontally shrunk to a width of 1.99".   I should add that I cold-booted all the computers so that no other software was running before doing these tests.   Do these additional details provide any additional clues for anyone out there...?

bob_nau's picture

I've just made some partial

I've just made some partial progress in diagnosing this problem, although I still can't figure out why it is happening.  I compared at the source code for the original file with the correctly sized graphics and the source code for the edited version of the same file in which on the only change had been to open the file, look at the graphic properties of one of the graphs, click OK, and then re-save.  In the original text file, the graph specs are as follows:

\FRAME{ftbpF}{4.3837in}{6.4091in}{0pt}{}{}{fig_1-1.wmf}{\special{language
"Scientific Word";type "GRAPHIC";maintain-aspect-ratio TRUE;display
"USEDEF";valid_file "F";width 4.3837in;height 6.4091in;depth
0pt;original-width 6.7083in;original-height 10.2913in;cropleft "0";croptop
"1";cropright "1";cropbottom "0";filename '../Chapter 1
Introduction/Fig_1-1.wmf';file-properties "XNPEU";}}

In the edited version they are as follows:

\FRAME{ftbpF}{4.3829in}{6.4091in}{0pt}{}{}{fig_1-1.wmf}{\special{language
"Scientific Word";type "GRAPHIC";maintain-aspect-ratio TRUE;display
"USEDEF";valid_file "F";width 4.3829in;height 6.4091in;depth
0pt;original-width 6.7083in;original-height 10.2913in;cropleft
"-0.5912";croptop "1";cropright "1.5912";cropbottom "0";filename '../Chapter
1 Introduction/Fig_1-1.wmf';file-properties "XNPEU";}}

The difference is that the cropleft and cropright settings in the original file are zeros while in the edited file they are weird numbers.  If I edit the file with Notepad to change them back to zeros, the file compiles OK again.  So, the question is why the cropleft and cropright settings get changed by merely inspecting the graphic properties and clicking OK.  Non-zero values for the cropleft and cropright settings also appear when a new picture is imported.  After they are changed to non-zero values, it is impossible to change them back to zero and have them stay that way while in Scientific Workplace.  The only solution appears to be to edit the file with a text editor such as Notepad rather than with SWP.  Any ideas about how to fix this...?  Again, what is really strange is that this problem appeared only recently, and it appeared on 3 different computers.

bob_nau's picture

I just tried to create such a

I just tried to create such a file, but for some reason the rap file containing a JPEG picture that is less than 500K in size turns out to be larger than 6M in size, which is over the limit for your file submission system.  If the picture is in WMF format it is even larger.  Importing both types of files yields the same result--the picture width is limited to 1.99 inches.