A Weird Problem on Master Document and Subdocuments

Yqazra's picture

Hi, I am currently having a problem when I typeset and preview large documents (that contain master document and subdocuments). I am using SWP v.2960 in Windows Vista.

My question is: Does the directory for the master document should be short enough so it can entirely visible in dialog box?

I have tried to typeset same document in two different directory, the first directory is in 'C:\SWPFile' and the second directory is in 'C:\Users\ARQY\Desktop\QUICK STORE\SWPEx'.

In the first directory, the typesetting was successful, the dialog box that appeared after I double-clicked one of the "Include" Latex environment can be seen below.

As we can see, the current document directory (for the master document) was correct, i.e.: 'C:\SWPFile\MasterDocument.tex'.

In the second directory, the typesetting was failed, the similar dialog box above can be seen below.

The current document directory (for the master document) was incorrect, i.e.
'C:\Users\ARQY\Desktop\QUICK' (the correct directory was longer, 'C:\Users\ARQY\Desktop\QUICK STORE\SWPEx\MasterDocument.tex').

When I clicked preview the pdf button, the message "I can't find file 'C:/Users/ARQY/Desktop/QUICK' "appeared.

Hence, does the directory for the master document should be short enough so it can entirely visible in dialog box (the name of the master document included)?

Can I create a master document somewhere else (of course the subdocuments are in the same directory)?

Another weird things happened, every time I typeseted the documents, the file swp0000.tex (not .pdf) is automatically generated. Why was this happening?

The files I used are attached in this message. Thanks for any help.

AttachmentSize
MasterDocument.tex2.33 KB
PartOne.tex217 bytes
PartTwo.tex218 bytes
PartThree.tex214 bytes

The problem is caused by the

The problem is caused by the space in the directory name.

For non-master/subdocuments, if there is a space in the directory name then the temporary directory is used when compiling the document.  A temporary document is created with the name swp####.tex (where #### is 0000, 0001, etc.) which is used when compiling.  A similar scheme is used when compiling a master/subdocument, except the document directory is used and not the temporary directory.  LaTeX sees the space in the directory name as a delimiter, causing the problem.

Just rename your directory or move the files to a directory that does not contain a space in the name.

Yqazra's picture

Thanks for the advice. It did

Thanks for the advice. It did worked.