Patch for SmartHeap bug

Sandy's picture

I use SWP on XP SP3.

The last time I considered fixing this bug, I was told that the fix was Beta. At that time, I decided it was safer to leave things alone. I am now again thinking of applying the fix and I found a dll file on the website with no cautionary message.

Questions:

1, Is this fix now considered completely safe?
2. For XP, is the target directory C:\Windows\System32 ?
3. Do I replace the existing dll file with the new one?

Thanks.

This patch is for Version 3.0

This patch is for Version 3.0 and the web page about this update was created almost ten years ago.  The files referenced by the patch were integrated into the Build 1079B product CD, so I would characterize this patch as safe.  I believe that the patch is necessary to even run the program if you are using Version 3.0 and a build version earlier than 1079B with Vista or Windows 7.

The install directory would be %windir%\system32 where %windir% is your Windows directory (which is probabably c:\Windows for Windows XP).  Yes, this is a replacement for the existing .dll.

You might consider updating to a more current version.  Version 3.0 cannot be used if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows since 16-bit programs are used and these are no longer supported by 64-bit versions of Windows.

Sandy's picture

Thanks very much. I went

Thanks very much. I went ahead and replaced the dll file, but the problem is still there. The only difference is that there is just one error box to close whereas previously there were about 20. That may, however, be due to the fact that I just opened the program with a document and then immediately closed it.

Do you think I should reboot in order for the change to take effect? If so, it's usually about a week or so between reboots for me.

Yes, if I can ever afford it, I'll get version 6, since it will have the features I need which all earlier features lack.

Also, I don't seem to be getting anything related to this forum in my email.

Thanks again, Sandy

The only information I have

The only information I have is at: http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/724.htm

This is specific to Windows XP, so I don't know what the situation might be for other versions of Windows when using SW Version 3.0.  You may have to just live with the extra dialog.

I think you have to sign up before you receive messages from the forum.  Use the "My account" link from the left side of the forum, then the Notifications link from near the top of the page.  You can then decide on the types of messages you want to receive.

Sandy's picture

Thanks again. The MS page you

Thanks again. The MS page you referred me to included the following:

"This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix .... If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request."

It is that text that led me to conclude last time that the hotfix is Beta and might not be safe. I did download the hotfix from MS, but I want to get info on the experience of other people before I try it.

Has anyone out there tried it? Can you comment?

It's been too long now, so I

It's been too long now, so I don't remember if I used this HotFix when I was using Windows XP, but I think I may have installed it.  Others would have to comment, but there probably aren't very many people using Version 3.0 and Windows XP.  The Microsoft page doesn't say that the HotFix cannot be removed, so it should be possible to unistall the HotFix if you end up having problems.  I'm just guessing here, Microsoft would need to answer this.

Sandy's picture

ps How did I end up with that

ps How did I end up with that grotesque avatar and how can I get rid of it?

There is a default setting

There is a default setting someplace to add some sort of avator.  Use My account, then choose Edit and scroll down to Picture where you can upload a new picture, or turn off "If you have a valid Gravatar associated with your e-mail address, use it for your user picture." and then choose Save at the bottom of the page.

Sandy's picture

ok, I got it changed. Whew!

ok, I got it changed. Whew!

Oops, not yet, I still see

Oops, not yet, I still see the cartoon character.  Maybe you forgot to click "Save".

Sandy's picture

The cartoon character is what

The cartoon character is what I put. Somehow, it had a monstrosity like a tomato with fangs --- really nasty.

The cartoon character is Mr O'Malley from the WWII era comic strip "Barnaby". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnaby_(comic_strip)