Footnotes

mako's picture

Hi,

I'm using the command Ctrl+D in order to display my formulas. But when I insert a footnote after the formula in this 'display-window', the text of the footnote isn't shown at the end of the page in the block for footnotes. I see the number for the footnote, but when I click on it, it sends me to the first page of my compiled file. Besides, maybe it is noteworthy that the footnote isn't in the math mode. Because when it is in the math mode and I try to compile the file, I get an error message.

Please help!

John MacKendrick's picture

You have encountered a

You have encountered a problem that occurs when LaTeX compiles footnotes that are placed in objects such as matrices or displays.

The way to work around this is to place a "Mark only" footnote in the display and a "Text only" footnote just after the display.

To do this, choose Insert, Note, make sure footnote is selected as the Type of Note, and click Options... There, you can specify a Mark Only or Text Only footnote.

mako's picture

The footnote is in the

The footnote is in the display, and it works only when the whole footnote is in the math mode and it is a 'text only' or 'mark and text' footnote. But in this case I get this error message:
! Package amsmath Error: \ddot allowed only in math mode.

See the amsmath package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.2072 Einkommen der Wirtschaft ist. }

?

Besides, special characters like ä cannot be displayed in the footnote.

mako's picture

The special character is the

The special character is the problem. When I delete it, the file can be compiled without any error message and the footnote is displayed, too. But I need it there, what can I do?  :-(

Try inserting a TeX field

Try inserting a TeX field containing the command

\protect

in front of the symbol.

mako's picture

it doesn't work: ! Package

it doesn't work:

! Package amsmath Error: \ddot allowed only in math mode.

See the amsmath package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.1520 \protect\ddot{a}t.}
                          \text{.}
?

My guess is that 1) the

My guess is that 1) the footnote must be in text mode, and 2) the contents of the footnote must then use LaTeX notation to put the \ddot object in math mode.

The contents of the encapsulated TeX field in the footnote would then look something like:

$\ddot{a}$

Add the \protect immediately before the \ddot may still be necessary.

Can you post the file or send

Can you post the file or send a copy to support@mackichan.com so that we can take a look at it?

mako's picture

Just sent!

Just sent!