Problems with the alignment

mako's picture

Hi, I have several equations in my paper and I would like to number these. My problem is: I don't know how to align them so that they are just at the margin.

Ex:

*equation*                                                                                                                                                     (1)

The number should be just at the end of the line.

Thanks!

John MacKendrick's picture

If you are using Scientific

If you are using Scientific Word or Scientific WorkPlace, then you can enter the equation by choosing Display from the Insert menu.  Then, if you press <Tab>, there will be a number automatically generated for the displayed equation. You will be able to see this after choosing Preview or Preview PDF from the Typeset menu.

If you are using Scientific Notebook, then you can use the Horizontal Stretchy space to center the equation and right justify the equation number. To enter a Horizontal Stretchy space, choose Insert, Spacing, Horizontal Space, Custom, Select "Stretchy" as the Size, and enter "Nothing" under Fill Width. You can enter this stretchy space as the first element on a line, then enter the equation, enter another stretchy space, and then enter the equation number.

See the attached document as an example.

mako's picture

Thank you, it works! But the

Thank you, it works!

But the next problem is: Sometimes there are equations that belong together, so that i get the following order:

3a

3b

For the numbers 3a and 3b I've changed the settings to custom and just typed the numbers on my own. But then I get instead of 4 of course 3. How can I solve it?

PS: I use Scientific Workplace

John MacKendrick's picture

If you have a multiline

If you have a multiline equation and you want the lines to be numbered 3a and 3b, then revise the display, click Advanced, and check Enable Subequation Numbering. Then, have each line be numbered as "Auto".

See the attached document as an example.