SW changes latex commands

laloe's picture

To me (and to others in my lab), the main problem with Scientific Word is that is automatically changes latex commands in files made with other editors. Coauthors then get upset when they see that adjustments they had made before have disappeared, or even that a mess has been created (an example of catastrophy is what happens when a coauthor has used a \normalisize command).

Is there a way to configurate Scientific Word to a "peaceful coexistence mode" so that is does not change existing latex commands (or initial declarations)? A nice thing is the possibility of "embedding" tex commands so that SW does not change them. Is it possible to generalize this way of functionning, so that exchanging files in both directions (not only import, but also export) with colleagues becomes really possible?

Alternatively, can I configurate SW so that it creates only a file that is to be inserted into another general file with the \input command, without ruining the main file?

Thanks                              Franck

-- 

SW reads in the entire

SW reads in the entire document, creates its own internal database of the document, then writes it out again when the document is saved.  So, at a fundamental level, the answer to your first question is no.

The \normalsize and related commands are anomalies in that they are font switch commands rather than macros with parameters.  SW needs to deal with known groupings.  This is why a \normalsize command will get propagated through a document inside a group at each paragraph.

The "peaceful coexistence  mode" is allowed in SW by inserting encapsulated TeX fields.  SW does not try to interpret the contents of an encapsulated TeX field.  So, you can encapsulate $\alpha$ and you will see a TeX field in the document rather than the alpha character in math mode (of course, this is just a simple example).

For your last point, look at using a master and subdocument structure.  The subdocument will contain only a comment that points to the master document, so it is suitable for use with \input or \include statements.  You probably want to set the master document to save as Portable LaTeX.