Pascal's triangle

Eugene Saletan's picture

Can you suggest a way to place Pacal's triangle neatly into an SWP document?  I tried doing it with a table but that yielded a cumbersome result, far too wide and hard to understand.  The only alternative I can think of is to do it as a graphic and import it into SWP.

Thanks..........Gene Saletan

I guess that beauty is in the

I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I did an Internet search for a LaTeX version of Pascal's triangle and found:

\begin{tabular}{rccccccccc}
$n=0$: & & & & & 1 & & & & \\
$n=1$: & & & & 1 & & 1 & & & \\
$n=2$: & & & 1 & & 2 & & 1 & & \\
$n=3$: & & 1 & & 3 & & 3 & & 1 & \\
$n=4$: & 1 & & 4 & & 6 & & 4 & & 1%
\end{tabular}

See the attachment for this inside a document.

Eugene Saletan's picture

Thanks for your usual quick

Thanks for your usual quick reply.

In the eye of the beholder indeed.  I wanted to get at least to n = 9, and this would get way too wide.  I used the other strategy suggested.

Gene

tomprice's picture

Hello, This strategy

Hello,

This strategy produces a "tight" triangle but it is not elegant. Create an n x 1 matrix. Place a 1 in the first cell. Next, place a 1 in the second, followed by two (or three) spaces (shift + space bar, shift + space bar), and then enter another 1. Continue in this fashion. You can modify the width of the triangle by using other types of spaces such as a thin space.

Tom Price

Eugene Saletan's picture

Thanks.  I started doing this

Thanks.  I started doing this just before your note. Your note envouraged me, and I got to n = 9.  A hassle when you get to two and three digit entries, but it ended up looking OK.