Typesetting documents with .eps graphics to .pdf

Jeff's picture
  • I'd like to typeset a document to a .pdf that contains .eps files. I've had some success using the dvips option as explained here, but once I switch to the dvips option, the graphics no longer appear when I use the typset->compile PDF option. Is there a way to use the dvips option and still generate pdf files? Thanks, Jeff

It is not possible to

It is not possible to directly include .eps graphics when you typeset for PDF.  Only .pdf, .jpg, and .png graphics types can be directly included.  All other graphics types are automatically converted by SW to an acceptable graphics type for inclusion in the final PDF file. 

The conversion does not happen if you are using \includegraphics statements directly.  The compile will fail if you use \includegraphics statements directly to compile for PDF when referencing a .eps (or any other than one of the three) file types.

Jeff's picture

All other graphics types are

All other graphics types are automatically converted by SW to an acceptable graphics type for inclusion in the final PDF file.

Is this feature somehow interrupted when I use the statement \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}? I'm using this to circumvent the problem of the .eps files not appearing properly, but when I do the figure does not appear when I typeset to .pdf.

If you use the dvips option

If you use the dvips option to graphicx but are compiling for PDF, no graphics will appear.  The dvips option says to use \special commands that are specific to dvips.  These commands are unknown by pdflatex, so they are ignored.

It is best to not add a driver option to graphicx unless you have specific reasons (such as compiling for DVI and using .eps graphics directly as discussed in http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/415.htm).

Jeff's picture

This reason discussed in the

This reason discussed in the link is exactly why I am using the dvips option--so that my .eps graphics will appear properly. Does this mean there is no way to use .eps graphics and have them appear correctly if you want to typeset to pdf?

Exactly.  It is not possible

Exactly.  It is not possible to directly include .eps graphics (using \includegraphics statements in TeX fields) when you typeset for PDF.  Only .pdf, .jpg, and .png graphics types can be directly included.  All other graphics types are automatically converted by SW to an acceptable graphics type for inclusion in the final PDF file. 

The conversion does not happen if you are using \includegraphics statements directly in TeX fields.  The compile will fail if you use \includegraphics statements directly to compile for PDF when referencing a .eps (or any other than one of the three) file types.