Tables - results

Sara's picture

Hi all,

I am facing a little problem that I hope it can be fixed easily. I am using tables through import fragment to report results. While I need the caption for tables numbers and titles,  I still have to add table notes below the tables themselves. I am not sure how to go about that,  I have already tried many ways and was not successful . I am also using sideways table and tabularx.

Could you please let me know how could I add notes to the tables?

Thank you in advance for your response.

tomprice's picture

Sara, I would try the

Sara,

I would try the threeparttable package by Donald Arseneau available at ctan. I ran a few examples of this package using straight LaTeX, including sideways tables; I think it will handle your needs. Ctan also contains documentation for the package and there is a very nice example of its use at www.tug.org/pracjourn/2007-2/asknelly/.

Regards,

Tom

Sara's picture

Thank you Tom. The package

Thank you Tom. The package is not from SWP enviroment and I have no idea how to get it to work in SWP. Are there any instructions ?

Thank you Tom

tomprice's picture

Sara, You will need to use

Sara,

You will need to use the graphicx package in your document. I was able to get a table to work in SWP using the following commands in a TeX field. The .8 scales the bable by a factor of .8; you can determine this scale factor.

\begin{table}[h]\centering

\scalebox{.8}{

\begin{tabular}{lll}

This is a very wide table. & This is a very wide table. & This is a very wide table. \\

Wide table problems & Another cell & Final cell

\end{tabular}

}

\end{table}

Tom

tomprice's picture

Sara, Please download the

Sara,

Please download the attached rap file and place it in a convenient working directory such as C:\swp55\Docs.  Then navigate to www.sitextools.com/swp/3parttable/threePartTable.html and watch the video.  The video will give you a basic idea of how the threeparttable style works. It will also show you how to add the style to your TrueTeX formatting system when you unwrap the file. You should look over the style documentation located at mirror.math.ku.edu/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/threeparttable/threeparttable.pdf.

I hope this helps. Regards,

Tom

wuzhang's picture

Hi Tom, The file works

Hi Tom,

The file works perfectly for me; I really appreciate your help.

Do you mind I ask you another question: when I open my tex file created by Latex, the contents of the table begin with "\begin{table}" are not shown in the file, only in the tex field; while the contents of table begin with "\begin{tabular}" are shown in the file.

But in your tex file, the table contents are shown in the file, but table is created by "\begin{table}" ; could you tell me how I could make the content of table shown in the file instead of the tex field?

Thanks a lot!

Wu

tomprice's picture

I am not sure I understand

I am not sure I understand your question. Try saving your file using save as, close the file, and then open it again. If this does not do what you want, please post a minimal working example.

aledono's picture

Hi, I am trying to

Hi,

I am trying to download tableNoteSWP.rap but I can only save it as a text file.

Can you please help me on this?

Thank you very much,

AD

aledono's picture

I solved the issue.  Forget

I solved the issue.  Forget about it. Thanks.

The file is correct, so how

The file is correct, so how you download it must be specific to your system.  I use Internet Explorer so I can right click on the link for tableNoteSWP.rap and then use "Save target as...".  The Save as type near the bottom of the dialog shows "Scientific WorkPlace Document (*.rap)" since I have SWP installed.  Using the Save button is then all that's needed.

If you are using a different browser you will have a slightly different interface.  You might be able to change to type of file to "All files" and then save correctly.  The .rap file is a plain text file so there shouldn't be any problem downloading and saving to your local hard disk.

aledono's picture

Thank you.

Thank you.

tomprice's picture

Sara, I will try to provide

Sara,

I will try to provide more detailed instructions later today.

Regards,

Tom

Sara's picture

Thank you Tom, this is the

Thank you Tom, this is the best help I ever got. It is really appreciated, keep the great work.

Best,

Sara

tomprice's picture

You are welcome. Tom Price 

You are welcome.

Tom Price 

Sara's picture

Hi Tom, Is it possible type

Hi Tom,

Is it possible type math in the notes for the threepart table? When I try from within SWP environment I get errors.

Thanks Sara

See Using mathematics in a

See Using mathematics in a caption or other TeX field for a method to add mathematics in TeX fields.

tomprice's picture

George, The second table set

George,

The second table set up int the attached file redefines the description environment to tableitem and then restores it to the original definition. Using this technique, Sara can use the description list item tag to create her notes. (Your solution is better if users know enough latex code.) Does this seem like a reasonable solution to you?

Tom

Sara's picture

Thank you, this is

Thank you, this is impressive. Works fine.

Best,

Sara

tomprice's picture

Sara, I was happy to

Sara,

I was happy to help.

Regards,

Tom

Sara's picture

Hi again, I was just

Hi again,

I was just wondering if there is anyway to fit a table into a printed page. I have a table with probably an extra column or two (sideways) that is not printing fully. While I tried to resize font to remedy the problem I still cant get those columns printed properly. Would there be any other way ? Thanks again  as usual 

tomprice's picture

Please see the attached

Please see the attached file.

The example uses the rotating

The example uses the rotating package and replaces the table environment with the sidewaystable environment.  This solution does require that you compile for PDF since the TrueTeX Previewer does not support the rotating package.

Another possibility, if the tabular object is only slightly too large, is to add a LaTeX sizing command inside the [B] encapsulated TeX field used for floating tables.  The [B] encapsulated TeX field contains:

\begin{table}[tbp] \centering

Add one of the LaTeX font sizing commands to the end of the current contents.  The complete list of font sizing commands from smallest to largest is:

\tiny
\scriptsize
\footnotesize
\small
\normalsize
\large
\Large
\LARGE
\huge

Sara's picture

Thank you for your feedback,

Thank you for your feedback, actually I did rotate and small size, scale font ... and what I was thinking about was scale down the whole table as if I have an 80% snapshot of the whole table, is this possible? Thanks a lot

tomprice's picture

Hello, You could try placing

Hello,

You could try placing the following in a TeX field:

\scalebox{.8}{

table markup...

}

Tom Price

Sara's picture

Hi, Tried scale box in a tex

Hi,

Tried scale box in a tex field and in begin table and it had no effect if this is how I was supposed to do that.

Thanks