Use Foxit Reader instead of Acrobat Reader as your PDF viewer/printer program

The following should work to allow adding Foxit Reader as the PDF viewer/printer program for use with SW.

To set Foxit Reader as the PDF previewer program:

1. Select Typeset, Expert Settings and from the Typeset Options dialog choose the tab "PDF Preview Settings".
  2. Acrobat will be the only available entry.  Choose "Add/Modify" to open the PDF Preview Driver dialog.
  3. Change the "Name for PDF preview driver" from "Acrobat" to "Foxit" to identify the program.
  4. Change the contents of the "Executable filename" field to be the Foxit Reader program. You can use the Browse button to locate the program.  Assuming the default install directories, the file name is "C:/Program Files/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe" or "C:/Program Files (x86)/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe" if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows.
  5. The remaining entries do not need any changes, so choose OK.
  6. You will be prompted to add a new previewer named Foxit.  Choose Yes and then OK to close the Typeset Options dialog with Foxit selected.

To set Foxit Reader as the PDF printer program (the first four steps are the same as above):

1. Select Typeset, Expert Settings and from the Typeset Options dialog choose the tab "PDF Print Driver Settings".
  2. Acrobat will be the only available entry.  Choose "Add/Modify" to open the PDF Print Driver dialog.
  3. Change the "Name for PDF print driver" from "Acrobat" to "Foxit" to identify the program.
  4. Change the contents of the "Executable filename" field to be the Foxit Reader program. You can use the Browse button to locate the program.  Assuming the default install directories, the file name is "C:/Program Files/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe" or "C:/Program Files (x86)/Foxit Software/Foxit Reader/Foxit Reader.exe" if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows.
  5. The "Command line to invoke print driver" field contains:
    %x /p /h "%f"
    change this to:
    %x -t "%f" "%v"
  6. The "Give string containing macros which should use %s" field contains:
    %v
    Delete the contents of this field.
  7. Choose OK to save your changes.
  8. You will be prompted to add a new print driver named Foxit.  Choose Yes and then OK to close the Typeset Options dialog with Foxit selected.

berntl's picture

Because I sometimes need to

Because I sometimes need to take screen captures of the pdf file + also need to edit pdf files (join two files, etc.), I chose to buy Foxit Phantom -- which does a few of the things that Acrobat Pro does. Foxit Phantom works fine for me. Why buy Foxit Pantom instead of Acrobat Pro? Well, it does what I need, and Acrobat Pro costs ten times more than Foxit Phantom does. (I.e. commercial price; for academia, the situation is different.)