Figures side-by-side

Pantera's picture

Hi all,

I'm SWP user (SWP 5.0, build 2570). I appreciate a lot if anyone can tell me how to organize, let say, two figures nicely, side-by-side (on the same row) in a SWP-document.

Regards,

P.

Version 5.0 includes the

Version 5.0 includes the subfigure package (which has been superceded by the subfig package that is included in Version 5.5).  See the document PackageSample-subfigure.tex in the SWSamples directory below where Version 5.0 is installed for information on how to use the package and also some suggestions on how to avoid using the package.

You might also consider updating to the final Version 5.0 build.  See Patch update 2606 for Version 5.

tomprice's picture

Hello, One way (there are

Hello,

One way (there are others) is to use the subfig package (which supersedes the subfigure package). You can find instructions for using this package with SW and SWP by navigating to the MacKichan website and doing a search on subfig.

--Tom Price

Pantera's picture

Thank Tom, Unfortunately, I

Thank Tom,

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything about the "subfig package" (or subfigure) when I used the search-option on the MacKichan's homepage. If you have any ideas where to find the instructions about this package, please let me know.

Regards,

P

tomprice's picture

I think you are using the

I think you are using the wrong type of search. Go to the MacKichan home page (http://www.mackichan.com/). In the center of the header you will find a vertical list of five words: Home, Contact us, Store, Support, Search. Click on the word Search, this opens a new page. In the top left of this page you will see the words "Search for", just under that there is a text form field (input box). Type the word subfig in this box and click the gray rectangle that contains the word Search. This should get you to a page that contains a list of seven (I think) results or links. Click the link labeled "652: The LaTeX subfig package";  this should get you to the instructions page for using subfig in SW or SWP.

--Tom Price

Pantera's picture

Thank Tom - Your're right - I

Thank Tom - Your're right - I ended up using a completely wrong search-option. I have checked out your suggestion. However, I cannot find the subfig-package on the swp5.0-list (on my computer) - only the old subfigure package. Please, see my comments and question to George.

Regards,

P.

Regarding, "see my comments

Regarding, "see my comments and question to George".

Maybe a post didn't make it or I'm just confused.  I don't see a question that was addressed to me.

The subfig package didn't exist when Version 5.0 was released, instead the subfigure package was available.  I don't think that there was much difference in the interface between the two packages and that the main difference was internal.  In any case, see the PackageSample-subfig(ure).tex document for the appropriate version in the SWSamples directory and the package documentation directly.

Pantera's picture

Thank George, I will try out

Thank George,

I will try out your suggestion. I have also sent an email to the Swp's sales/marketing department and asked a couple of questions about upgrading from 5 to 5.5. I haven't heard from them yet, but I'm sure they send me some info during Tuesday (today).

Regards,

P.

tomprice's picture

You are correct about not

You are correct about not being able to find the subfig package. Your original post mentioned that you were using v 5.0 and I had forgotten that MacKichan included subfig in later versions. I am happy George noticed this.

Tom

Pantera's picture

Thank! Is there any

Thank! Is there any possibility to use the old package (subfigure package) - and exists there any documentation/guidlines how to use "old" package for non-experts? Alternatively: is there any possibility to go-around any of the packages to solve the side-by-side-figure-problem?

Regards,

P.

tomprice's picture

D0 you have a copy of

D0 you have a copy of Typesetting Documents in Scientific WorkPlace & Scientific Word (2nd Edition)? This book contains the instructions for the subfigure package. If not, I think George's suggestion should work.

--Tom Price

Pantera's picture

Thank again Tom - Yes, I have

Thank again Tom - Yes, I have the documentation for the SWP5.0. I can try to use the package and follow the instruction step-by-step. However, I consider to upgrade to the last version of swp.

Regards,

P.