wmf files & pdf generation with Visio 2010

berntl's picture

I have a drawing produced using Visio 2003, and saved as wmf (Windows Meta File). When importing this file into SWP 5.5 (latest version), I can easily generate both a TrueTeX file and a pdf file. The TrueTeX files gives a faithful reproduction of the drawing made in Visio, while the drawing looks somewhat messed up in the pdf version. But it works.

I'm in the process of switching to Visio 2010. I opened the same visio file with Visio 2010, and produced the wmf from Visio 2010. When importing this file into SWP, I first get an error message/warning (?) that the file has only been partially saved. Fortunately, the file is still there. When I preview the file using TrueTeX, everything looks fine -- just like with the previous version of the wmf. BUT when I generate a pdf file, I'm told that there is a problem with exporting the figure, and no figure shows up in the generated pdf file -- also the reference to the file is broken.

Any ideas about what this is?

-B

Thank you for pointing out

Thank you for pointing out that we did not have WMF file uploads enabled here.  I have enabled WMF upload on the forum so you can use this feature.

Regards - Janelle Frazer
MacKichan Software, Inc.

berntl's picture

Thanks, Janelle. Quick

Thanks, Janelle. Quick response as always from MacKichan!

Here is my *.wmf file. It should be possible to import it into e.g. a blank document of SWP 5.5.

-B

berntl's picture

I *could* have attached the

I *could* have attached the file, but this discussion forum doesn't allow for *.wmf files to be attached.

-B

There are a large number of

There are a large number of graphics types.  You can always create a small SW document with the graphics file and then save as .rap which can be posted.  It might be necessary to compress the .rap into a .zip if the .rap is too large, but .rap files should compress well to create a much smaller .zip file.

berntl's picture

I have experimented more on

I have experimented more on the problem. I sent the newly generated wmf-file by e-mail to my desktop PC and copy&pasted the figure into SWP 5.5 on my desktop + generated pdf preview. No problem!! And now the figure shows up correctly (minus the problems with Visio 2003). Hm. Could this be because I use Acrobat Pro on my desktop and Foxit on my laptop? No, not likely: the "partial saving" problem is not related to pdf. And when checking more closely, I find that the picture that has been *copied* from IrfanView and *pasted* into SWP 5.5 is a .bmp file...

In conclusion: Microsoft must have changed the wmf file format somewhat, and SWP 5.5 doesn't handle the new wmf format properly.

berntl's picture

I have experimented further.

I have experimented further. I generated an *.emf version of my visio document using Visio Pro 2010. This file can be imported into SWP, and works with SWP 5.5. Also, the file now looks correct in the generated pdf file (the cloud looks correct, for those who have looked at my submitted *.wmf file).

I don't think that there's

I don't think that there's one single method that will work for everyone.  It does seem obvious that the Microsoft products have changed what appears on the clipboard when you copy an image.

What has worked for some people when copying from an Office product is to use Paste Special into either the same or another Office product and selecting the Windows Metafile format, then copy that pasted image and pasting what is then on the clipboard into SW.

Using the .wmf file that you posted, when compiling for PDF and the graphics gets converted to .pdf, the conversion fails.  I was able to create a PDF file by changing the settings so SW would generate a .png instead of .pdf file. 

I was also able to generate a PDF by first opening your .wmf in IrfanView, saving out of IrfanView (which saves as .emf) and then importing the .emf into SW.  This version is attached in the .rap file inside the .zip file (the .rap by itself was too large).

tomprice's picture

Hello, Do you mind posting a

Hello,

Do you mind posting a minimal nonworking example--a short file that includes the graphic--that depicts the problem you are having. Please post the the example file and the graphics file.

--Tom Price

berntl's picture

See my response above -- the

See my response above -- the discussion forum doesn't allow for the attachment of *.wmf files.

-Bernt

tomprice's picture

Hello, I had not noticed that

Hello,

I had not noticed that you can not attach .wmf files. If you wish, you may send the files to me by email (tom@sitextools.com).

--Tom Price