Graphic from Excel to Scientific Workplace

LMolina's picture

Hello all,

I am new at Scientific workplace, and i hope you could help me with the following:

I have some graphics at Excel (microsoft Office) and i want to paste them in to a Standard Latex- Blank Standard Latex Article  in Scientific workplace.

If i copy it from Excel and paste it directly to the SWP white page, when i click on the pdf preview the image is incomplete: Not all the number in the axis and the labels of the axis appear (It is a simple bar chart).

If i copy it from Excel and paste it in to Microsoft Office Word as a metaenhanced file, and the copy it from word and paste it to the white page of SWP i get a terrible resolution: some times the numbers in the axis are to wide (like in bold) so that it is imposible to understand them.

What is it that i am doing wrong.

Thank you all in advance, i will really really appreciate your help.

LM

John MacKendrick's picture

When you copy/paste from a

When you copy/paste from a Microsoft Office product, the product places multiple versions on the clipboard.  SW works best with a Windows Metafile, but sees the Enhanced Metafile on the clipboard. A method that works for some cases is to copy the graphics, then in an Office product use Paste Special to select the Windows Metafile version, then copy/paste from this temporary location into SW.

vandycktoon's picture

I believe I have a solution

I believe I have a solution for this problem. Although exporting the graph as a Windows Metafile is a valid option, you experience some loss of quality when you compile the pdf file with SWP.

I use Scientific Workplace 5.5, Excel 2010 and Powerpoint 2010.

1. If you have a graph or figure in Excel, copy-paste it to Powerpoint (as a Microsoft Office Graphic Object, default). Maximise the graph such that it covers the entire slide. You can adjust the size of the slide via Design > Page setup.

2. Then click File > Save as and choose .pdf. Under pdf options I choose ISO 19005-1 (but I am not sure this is a must).

3. Include the .pdf image in your SWP file using the Latex \includegraphics command.

4. Compile your document, check out your graph and enjoy perfect quality no matter how much you zoom.

Hope this helps. Does it work for others as well?

Best,

TV

LMolina's picture

Thank you, but i think i am

Thank you, but i think i am still not getting a very good resolution... and i don't want like "the best" resolution, just something acceptable, i don't know i you can help me?

I am attaching the SWP pdf:

The first image is the one when i copy and paste as image directly from Excel to SWP.

The second one is when i copy from Excel, paste as windows metafile in word, and then copy from word and paste as picture in SWP.

The third and last one is when i copy from Excel, paste as enhanced metafile in word, and then copy from word and paste as picture in SWP.

Or may be that is the best resolution i can get in SWP? I just would like to know in order to decide what to do.

Thank you very very much in advance.

Regards,

LM

Do you think you could send

Do you think you could send an Excel document containing only the relevant graphic to support@mackichan.com (or post it here) so that we can experiment with several ways of bringing it into Scientific WorkPlace? We may be able obtain a satisfactory graphic.

LMolina's picture

I am sending the file here

I am sending the file here and to the emaiil you provided, thank you very much, i will be waiting for ant news on this issue.

Thank you again and best regards,

LM

I was able to get marginally

I was able to get marginally better results by using a freeware graphics application called IrFanView, which is available for download at http://www.irfanview.net/. I copied the graphic from Excel into that application and saved it as an .emf file.

See the attached file.

LMolina's picture

Looks much better than

Looks much better than mine!

I will download it, definitely, but once that you copy from Excel into that application and save it, how do you paste it again into SPW?

Do you open the .emf file, copy it  and paste it in to the SWP file?

Thank you!

After I saved it from

After I saved it from IrfanView, I brought it into Scientific WorkPlace by choosing File, Import Picture, and selecting it.