Grey plot

Chris's picture

Hi all, is there anyone here experience the same issue like I am here when imported tex file into SWP v6? All my plots turn into grey pictures. and I can't seem to re-plot the diagrams. I have the error "[JavaScript Application] Computation Error". I am using Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6.

AttachmentSize
Error.png24.68 KB
Chris's picture

I tried importing tex file

I tried importing tex file from v5.5 to v6 on a Windows machine. The result is the same with grey diagrams. I wonder why. There is no response from support at MacKichan either. Weird.

jm's picture

With Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6,

With Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6, I get an error message like yours if I try to plot an expression that has paired braces {} in it. In my case, this does not have anything to do with importing the file from v5.5 and I don't know if the same occurs with other operating systems. But in my case, the expression plots correctly if I replace the paired braces by paired square brackets [] or paired parentheses (). Could that be the cause of your problem?

I think this should be classed as a bug. Paired braces don't cause problems with any of the other Compute menu items I have used, for example Compute > Evaluate. I reported it some time ago but, as with so many other SWP 6 bugs, it has not been fixed.

The other circumstance in which I have problems with plots is when I have inadvertently left active a Definition that makes the expression to be plotted meaningless. But you have no doubt checked that.

Chris's picture

Hi jm, just to update you

Hi jm, just to update you following a response from MacKichan support staff few days ago:

1) Definitions made in version 5.5 do not get imported into a version 6.0 document.

2) If the plot intervals are modified in version 5.5, then the plot will import into version 6.0 as a gray box.

They had recorded this in their database and hopefully a fix will be available soon.

Chris's picture

Hi jm, just to update you

Hi jm, just to update you following a response from MacKichan support staff few days ago:

1) Definitions made in version 5.5 do not get imported into a version 6.0 document.

2) If the plot intervals are modified in version 5.5, then the plot will import into version 6.0 as a gray box.

They had recorded this in their database and hopefully a fix will be available soon.

Chris's picture

Thanks jm for telling me

Thanks jm for telling me about the braces, brackets and parentheses. It would seem in v6, many things works differently. Let's take integration as an example. For example, when I integrate some equations involving fractions; in v5.5 I can put the dx in the numerator itself. But in v6, I cannot put it in the numerator itself and hence I have to rewrite many equations in my papers. Do you experience the same as well for this?