SWP 6.0.29 Named anchor key bugs

jm's picture

The attached .sci file illustrates behavior entering keys for named anchors (such as markers) that seems so illogical that I assume it is a bug, not as intended.

The behavior described is on a MacBook running OS X 10.13.6. Is the behavior the same under Windows?

AttachmentSize
SWP6029MarkerKeyBug.sci89.31 KB
pviton's picture

Yes, the behavior seems the

Yes, the behavior seems the same under Windows. But I'm not sure it's completely illogical. What I do is:

Enter P [like jm, with the same response]
Enter : [also like jm, with the same response]
Press End [cursor moves to after P: which is no longer highlighted]
Enter x=z

This seems to work well.

For some reason this seems natural to me, possibly because other Windows apps behave this way, though I haven't tried to find any that do.

jm's picture

When I follow the steps

When I follow the steps exactly as described, I end up with a marker of just "=y". The reason is that when I type the "x", all of "P: x" is highlighted and so is deleted when I type the "=".

What seems so illogical to me is when, after I type a character, that character (sometimes with previous ones) is highlighted and so deleted when I type the next character. With every other program I use, when I type a character, the cursor moves to after that character without selecting that character for deletion when I type the next one.

To me, it is logical for the program to assume that, when I type a character, I want that character to be retained, not to be deleted, when I type the next one.