SWP 6.0.29 Initial Impressions

jm's picture

Many thanks for releasing Scientific WorkPlace 6.0.29. Here are some initial impressions running it under macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

I am delighted that you have fixed so many bugs that were present in 6.0.28. I am, however, deeply disappointed that you appear not to have fixed the following bugs that I reported in the topic "SWP 6.0.28 Initial Impressions" and that you said in reply that you were "moving these bugs to the top of the 'fixit' stack".

1. Graph user settings: In the Graph user settings > Placement box, the Location, Float and Baseline settings always revert to “Floating”, “None” and “Baseline” respectively when I open the box, no matter what they have previously been set to by selecting something else and clicking OK. (This is not the case with the Caption setting.) The same applies in the Image properties > Placement box to the Float and Baseline settings, but not to the Location settings.

2. Matrix properties: I have found no way within SWP 6 to have entries in a matrix aligned anything other than centred. My hunch is that there are various Matrix Properties that ought to be accessible by selecting all (or part of) a matrix, right-clicking on the selection and choosing Properties. But although the arrow to the right of Properties suggests that there ought to be some actions available, choosing Properties does not bring any up.

Also, it seems that you have not fixed:

3. The "U+2063 INVISIBLE SEPARATOR" character issue reported in the posting "SWP 6.0.28 Initial Impressions": It is still appearing in SWP 6.0.29 when I import the TeX files attached to that posting.

4. The bugs with Find and Replace that I reported in topic "SWP 6.0.28 Find and Replace".

I have previously posted files demonstrating these bugs - but let me know if it would be helpful to have me post them again.

It is deeply frustrating that, despite my having reported these bugs long ago, they have not been fixed. They seem to me **much** more fundamental to the usability of SWP 6 for serious work than many of the bugs you have fixed.

Can they please be given top priority to be fixed for the next release?

Regarding, "3. The "U+2063

Regarding, "3. The "U+2063 INVISIBLE SEPARATOR" character issue reported in the posting "SWP 6.0.28 Initial Impressions": It is still appearing in SWP 6.0.29 when I import the TeX files attached to that posting."

We simply cannot see this problem.  Several of us have spent time trying to reproduce it using the sample you sent.  My only conclusion is that this is something specific to your computer.

I don't know why the revise matrix properties issue hasn't already been addressed.  However, it is at the top of the list.

I didn't see the find/replace bug you mentioned on the list of bugs to fix.  I'll make sure that it's on the list for the next update.

There was a long delay between Versions 6.0.27 and 6.0.28.  We decided to try to get out an update rather than wait until all the issues we had identified for the next update were resolved.

jm's picture

Many thanks for the quick

Many thanks for the quick response.

On the "U+2063 INVISIBLE SEPARATOR" character issue, it might help me locate the problem if I knew whether other people can see the character when the file has been imported on my computer or whether it has to do with the way my computer views the resulting sci file. Does the character appear on-screen when you view the attached sci file?

Still, I can live with that problem (I no longer need to import too many TeX files) if for the next release you fix the other bugs I listed. That would be great.