Problems with Table of Conents

Tanja's picture

Hi!

I use swp5 and have a  problem with the table of contents. I used the MakeTOC Tag in the Front Matter and the Table of contents is produced correct, but now I tried to have a page break after the table of contents and this does not work. For the page break I inserted a break after the MakeTOC Tag in the Front matter, but there is no change in the pdf output. The body text still starts right after the last line of the contents. What can I do?

Thanks for your help.

The page break is ignored in

The page break is ignored in the front matter.  Instead, place the page break as the first object in the main document in a Body Text paragraph.

Tanja's picture

Thanks for your fast reply. I

Thanks for your fast reply. I already tried what you suggested but this does not work either. And strangely, when I insert in the Front matter a pagebreak after the abstract this works correct. A colleague now suggested to insert the \newpage command in the tex file which I opened in an editor. This worked very well for the pagebreak after the table of contents. But now I have a new problem: I insterted a list of figures and list of tables and wanted a pagebreak between each list and this again does not work, even when I inserted the \newpage command in the tex file.

Any suggestions?

If SW doesn't recognize

If SW doesn't recognize commands as belonging in the front matter, it will move the commands to the body of the document.  Probably the best way to get a page break after the lof and lot is to add a command at the end of the document that will insert the page breaks at the end of the .lof and .lot files.

The method is hinted at in How to move an entry in the table of contents.  At the end of the document (so it is located after any figures or tables) add an encapsulated TeX field that contains:

\addtocontents{lof}{\protect\pagebreak}
\addtocontents{lot}{\protect\pagebreak}

You can also add:

\addtocontents{lof}{\protect\pagebreak}

if you want a page break at the end of the table of contents.

Tanja's picture

Thank you so much! Now it

Thank you so much! Now it works and I can finish my thesis.