tcilatex.tex

jm's picture

I have been editing a Beamer presentation, originally imported from SWP 5.5, with SWP 6.0.26 which produced a correct PDF. However, when I do further edits with SWP 6.0.27, I get the error message that there is a problem creating a PDF file and and no PDF is created.

The problem seems to be that pdfLaTeX is unable to find the file tcilatex.tex. When I rolled back to release 6.0.26, the problem disappeared (and a check revealed that tcilatex.tex is indeed in the TeX folder). So it looks as if the problem arises because tcilatex.tex is not included in release 6.0.27.

Questions:
1. Is it correct that tcilatex.tex is not included in release 6.0.27? (I am using the Mac version.)
2. If so, is that just an unintentional omission? Or is it policy that tcilatex.tex is not to be included in future releases of SWP 6?

1.  No.  There has been no

1.  No.  There has been no change to installing tcilatex.tex and related files since the first release.

2. While tcilatex.tex isn't needed (in many cases) by Version 6 documents, there is no plan to remove it.  There are many typesetting specification files that are referenced by certain shells that are included in the same directory tree as tcilatex.tex.

I just installed 6.0.27 on the Macintosh after deleting the tcilatex.tex class of files.  They were restored by the installation.  On the Macintosh, the files are placed in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/TCItex and below.

In general, if tcilatex.tex can't be found, updating the filename database should solve the problem.  The steps are available at Updating the TeX Live filename database.

jm's picture

Thanks for getting back to me

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

In the light of what you wrote, I checked that the Beamer presentation was producing a correct PDF file with SWP 6.0.26, then uninstalled SWP 6.0.26 and installed SWP 6.0.27. When I opened the Beamer file, I got exactly the same problem as before: an error message that there is a problem creating a PDF file and and no PDF is created. Looking at the TeX log file again revealed that pdfLaTeX is unable to find the file tcilatex.tex.

So I followed the instructions for Updating the TeX Live filename database, which corrected the problem and generated a correct PDF file with SWP 6.0.27. But I don't understand what is going on and am left with 2 questions:

1. Why should moving from SWP 6.0.26 that finds the relevant TeX files to SWP 6.0.27 create a problem for the TeX Live filename database?

2. When I encountered this problem, I had no idea where to look for a solution - I certainly would not have had any idea that I needed to look for Updating the TeX Live filename database on your website. Is there some way a user who encounters it can find out what to do without having to wait for a reply to a post on this forum?

1. Don't know.  Things should

1. Don't know.  Things should be getting better with later versions.  There has been a step added to run texhash at the end of the installation.  This is intended to update the filename database.  It has corrected problems I've seen where with earlier installers (.26 or .25 and previous, don't remember for sure) the filename database had to be updated by directly running the appropriate TeX Live utility.

2. This is comparatively new problem and would explain why finding this on the forum or web site would be difficult.  Other than waiting for a post on this forum, you can call or email support@mackichan.com.