I cannot compile or preview my document due to the following error: LaTeX error: File 'graphicx.sty' not found

prasmuss's picture

Hi,

The attached .tex file won't compile or preview due to the following error that pops up in the TrueTeX DVI Previewer: LaTeX error: File 'graphicx.sty' not found. I've tried adding this package via the "Typeset"-->"Options and Packages" command but my .tex file still wouldn't compile. There are no spaces in any of my file names, including the figures that are included in the .tex file. This error did not appear until I added figures, but then I deleted all the figures while troubleshooting and I still received the same error message. The figures are WMF, BMP, and EPS files. Can you help me out with this error?

Thanks!

Peter

AttachmentSize
CCS_cost_modeling28oct10.tex84.18 KB
tomprice's picture

Peter, The file you attached

Peter,

The file you attached uses the svmult document class, which is not part of the Scientific WorkPlace distribution. As I recall you authored a post a few days ago about using this class and it appears that you have followed the instructions in George’s reply. I do not have this class and you did not post any of the figures so I could not format your document. However, your document does not include the graphicx package in the Packages in Use list so try doing the following. (The document class you are using may already require the graphicx package. If so, the following suggestion probably will not solve your problem.) Open the Options and Packages dialog by navigating to Typeset > Options and Packages… . Click on the Package Options tab and then click the Add… button. This opens the Add Package dialog. Navigate to graphics in the Packages window and click the OK button. This should reveal the Option and Packages dialog and graphicx should appear in the Packages in Use window. Click the OK button and try to format your document. If this does not work, please create and post a minimal example—an example file that gives you the error but contains very little text and one graphic. Wrap the file so that it includes the graphic and post the wrapped file. Good luck!
Regards,
Tom Price
prasmuss's picture

Tom, Thanks for the prompt

Tom,

Thanks for the prompt response. As you indicated, I am using the svmult document class and was using it successfully per George's instructions until I incorporated figures into the document. I added the graphicx package as you suggested but I am receiving the same error message in my TrueTex DVI Previewer (LaTex Error: File 'graphicx.sty' not found.). I've attached a minimal example file that still generates the error message along with a figure. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks for your help!

Peter

I was able to compile using

I was able to compile using the files from your .zip file without any problem.

The file graphicx.sty is part of the required LaTeX installation, so missing this file indicates a problem with the installation.  It is unusual that files in the directory would be deleted, so you might run some disk check utilities and then run the SW install program and use the repair option when it becomes available.  If you had applied a patch update you will need to reapply the patch.

tomprice's picture

Peter, I was able to get your

Peter,
I was able to get your file to format with your graphic after I changed the document class to article, remember, I do not have the svmult class on my machine. Perhaps you should try the following. Import your graphic into a new article document and see if it will format. If it does, then I do not think there is a problem with your graphics.sty and perhaps George will know what is wrong. If the problem persists, I can try downloading and installing the svmult files and work some more with your example.
By the way, you can use the wrap feature of Scientific WorkPlace to save a file with its graphics.
Regards,
Tom