SWP 6.0.24 Character Properties Bug

jm's picture

The following bug arises with Character Properties in SWP 6.0.24 on my Mac running OS X 10.12.3.

Type the letter a in math mode. It appears correctly on-screen in red italic font. Now, with the cursor just after the letter, right click, choose Properties and then Character Properties. In the Character Properties dialog box choose a line below _. The letter a then changes from italic to upright font, but still in red.

I have found no way to change the underlined character back to italic, as I need for math mode. Is there one?

jm's picture

This bug appears not to have

This bug appears not to have been fixed in SWP 6.0.25. I hope you will fix it for the next release.

In the meantime, is there a workaround to get the underlined math character in italic, as it should be for math mode?

Barry MacKichan's picture

Instead of generating \b{} in

Instead of generating \b{} in this case, we could generate \underline{}, which seems to give the desired result. I made this change, and the attached graphic shows the result of a+a̲ in math mode.

Should I commit this change? Should we choose between \b and \underline using a preference? Your vote please. 

John MacKendrick's picture

This limitation, which is

This limitation, which is also present in version 5.5, is due to the fact that when the \b is added to the beginning of a character in LaTeX, it automatically typesets the charcter in an upright font.

A workaround is to toggle the a into text mode, tag it as italic, and apply the underline tag to it.