How to break line in the text inside a column of the table?

heike.m's picture

Hi!

I am using SWP 5.5 running on Windows.

Does anyone know how to break line in the text inside a column of the table?

Thanks in advance,

Heike

tomprice's picture

As I recall, I use a \parbox

As I recall, I use a \parbox command inside a TeX field in a table cell. You can learn about coding  parbox commands by doing a Google search on "parbox latex". The attached example should format without error.

-- Tom Price

tomprice's picture

George's solution is much

George's solution is much cleaner. I had forgotten that the column width option automatically causes text to wrap if necessary.

-- Tom PRice

If you have a cell with a lot

If you have a cell with a lot of text that you want to have automatic line breaks, then you need to set the width of the column to a specified value rather than using automatic column width.  Highlight the cell or column, then use Edit, Properties and in the Column Width tab turn off Use Automatic Width and then specify a width value.  A disadvantage is that the cells with specified width will display on the screen as fields (gray boxes). 

superdash's picture

Hi George, I have had the

Hi George,

I have had the same Problem and used the solution you gave. Is there a deeper reason for the cells displaying gray boxes? It is very annoying if you want to edit an older document with a table you don't know what is inside the table. Maybe there is a kind of workaround?

The answer to, "Is there a

The answer to, "Is there a deeper reason for the cells displaying gray boxes?" is yes, otherwise this display type would not have been used.   The work around is to change the column size to automatic, but then change back to the required width before final typesetting.