SWP 6.0.17 Import TeX bug

jm's picture

I attach a TeX file that has a displayed equation that appears correctly in PDF. When imported into SWP 6.0.17 using Import TeX from the File menu (with Mac OS X 10.11.5), the contents of the display vanish from the screen - see the attached .sci file - and are not present in a PDF generated from it.

I think this bug applies only to recent versions of SWP 6. I am reasonably confident that I have imported exactly this same display with earlier versions of SWP 6 without this problem.

It is really serious for me that complicated displays like this may vanish when exchanging TeX documents with co-authors using other programs (in this case SWP 5.5). Please fix this bug as a matter of urgency.

In the meantime, is there a workaround apart from re-typing the whole equation every time we exchange documents?

AttachmentSize
VanishingDisplay.tex5.1 KB
VanishingDisplay.sci34.75 KB
jm's picture

It seems that the vanishing

It seems that the vanishing display problem of this topic is caused by the command \strut in the display. The display content appears if I either remove \strut or replace it with \mathstrut. So I think the workaround is not to use \strut within a display.

But there is still a bug that needs fixing for 3 reasons:

1. SWP 6 allows me to put the \strut command in the display and produces a correct PDF when it is there. It is only when I export the document to TeX and re-import it (when, as in this case, working with a co-author using SWP 5.5) that the problem arises.

2. Other TeX implementations (for example, TeXShop) seem to handle the \strut command in a display without a problem so, to be compatible, SWP 6 should do so too.

3. I do not see any evidence that there is strut on-screen in SWP 6, even with View/Invisibles turned on. So, unless I look at the TeX or the Source code, I won't even know it is there. Or is there some way to make it visible?