SWP 6.0.15 Importing TeX Bugs

jm's picture

Thank you for releasing SWP 6.0.15.

I am, however, extremely disappointed that none of the problems with importing TeX that I reported in topic "SWP 6.0.14 Importing TeX Bugs" has been fixed. I have now been reporting these bugs for many releases of SWP 6 because they create major problems in using SWP 6 for serious work for anybody who previously used (or has co-authors still using) SWP 5.5 but nothing seems to be done about them.

I am losing patience with spending time documenting bug reports to improve SWP 6 when nothing seems to be done about them. **Please** fix these Importing TeX bugs for the next release. There is no way I can persuade colleagues and co-authors to switch from SWP 5.5 to SWP 6 while such basic problems remain.

To recap on the bugs that I reported before, I attach 3 files that illustrate them.

ExportTeX15.sci is an original file from SWP 6.0.15.
ExportTeX15.tex is the TeX file generated from ExportTeX15.sci by using the Export TeX facility in SWP 6.0.15.
ImportTeX15.sci is the sci file generated from ExportTeX15.tex by using the Import TeX facility in SWP 6.0.15.

If the export and import facilities worked correctly, ImportTeX15.sci would be identical to ExportTeX15.sci. (I have not edited the TeX file directly, so there is nothing there that was not exported by SWP.) It isn't identical in the following respects:

1. Addition of required and non-breaking spaces. Lots of required and non-breaking spaces have been added to ImportTeX15.sci which screw up the formatting. An example is that, if I edit ImportTeX15.sci and it happens that a non-breaking space added during importing is at the end of a line, the line breaks come in inappropriate places. There seems to be no reason for adding all these required and non-breaking spaces and having them added is extremely inconvenient.

2. Proposition environment. The Proposition environment is not recognised correctly in ImportTeX15.sci - it is just recognised as an "environment", not as a "Proposition" and no numbering appears on-screen. Moreover, Preview PDF has a problem - see #3.

3. Paragraph indent after proposition. In ImportTeX15.sci and the PDF generated from it, there is no paragraph indent following the proposition, even though there is in the PDFs generated directly from ExportTeX15.sci and ExportTeX15.tex.

4. Math not interpreted correctly. In the final displayed equation, the fraction is displayed as the TeX field "TEX: \genfrac" in ImportTeX15.sci, not graphically as in ExportTeX15.sci. Moreover, some math that was imported in the TeX field "TEX:\genfrac" (and that actually generated correct PDF output when imported into 6.0.13) generates gobbledygook PDF output when imported into 6.0.15. Compare the last displayed equations in the PDF files generated from ExportTeX15.sci and ImportTeX15.sci.

5. BIBTEX command not interpreted correctly. The name of the BibTeX style file (in this case agsm) is moved outside the command and the database files are not highlighted under Properties.

AttachmentSize
ExportTeX15.sci583.36 KB
ExportTeX15.tex9.04 KB
ImportTeX15.sci47.3 KB
John MacKendrick's picture

We believe we have fixed most

We believe we have fixed most of these at this point. The remaining issue is that the non-breaking and required spaces are still being added. Do you know if these documents were originally created with version 5.5? Or were they created from scratch? If they were created by importing a version 5.5 document, the developer would like, if possible, to see a sample document created by version 5.5 that can be used to reproduce the problem.

jm's picture

The file ExportTeX15.sci was

The file ExportTeX15.sci was created from scratch within SWP 6, not imported from 5.5. However, the files I have imported from 5.5 display the same added spaces.

I hope this helps.

texab's picture

Attached is a small file that

Attached is a small file that contains extra required spaces.

Hope this is what you need.

Barry MacKichan's picture

I'm not 100% sure, but my

I'm not 100% sure, but my impression is that the required spaces are coming not from the import, but from our editor, via code that was in the Mozilla Composer. I have checked in some changes that should fix this problem, so I expect it to be fixed in 6.0.16.