How to install new symbols into SWP 6 (and SWP 5.5)?

berntl's picture

I need a symbol that is not part of std LaTeX -- the "plimsoll" symbol, and have found it in http://tug.ctan.org/info/symbols/comprehensive/symbols-letter.pdf .

Question:
* How can I "install" this symbol (plimsoll) and use it in SWP 5.5? What about SWP 6?

berntl's picture

OK -- according to Wikipedia,

OK -- according to Wikipedia, the standard thermodynamic state is typeset as follows:
===
At the time of development in the nineteenth century, the superscript plimsoll symbol was adopted to indicate the non-zero nature of the standard state.[6] IUPAC recommends in the 3rd edition of Quantities, Units and Symbols in Physical Chemistry a symbol which seems to be a degree sign (°) as a substitute for the plimsoll mark. In the very same publication the plimsoll mark appears to be constructed by combining a horizontal stroke with a degree sign.[7] A range of similar symbols are used in the literature: a stroked lowercase letter O (o),[8] a superscript zero (0)[9] or a circle with a horizontal bar either where the bar extends the boundaries of the circle (U+29B5 ⦵ CIRCLE WITH HORIZONTAL BAR) or is enclosed by the circle, dividing the circle in half (U+2296 ⊖ CIRCLED MINUS).[10][11] When compared to the plimsoll symbol used on vessels, the horizontal bar should however extend the boundaries of the circle.
===
So I *could* replace the plimsoll symbol with the "ominus" operator. This is somewhat large when in superscript. It becomes smaller in the SWP (5.5) editor when I change it to "small", but this has no effect on the way it looks in the pdf file...
--
So why not use the circle symbol, which IUPAC actually recommends? Simply because I have used that to denote operating point... Essentially, I need indices to denote the following...
* superscript to indicate a scaling quantity (I have used "triangledown" for lack of a better symbol...)
* superscript to indicate dimensionless quantity (I have used "star" -- I think that is fairly common)
* subscript to indicate operating trajectory/point (I have used "circ" -- which looks like an O in operating trajectory)
* superscript to indicate standard state (I'd like to use the classical plimsoll, but I can probably live with "ominus" -- although it could have been smaller...)
* superscript to indicate a hypothetical pure species in a mixture (I have used "diamond" -- I don't like this choice, amongst others because it is a little difficult to write on the blackboard... I may get around this by simply skipping the notion of a hypothetical pure species ...)

Barry MacKichan's picture

For what it's worth, the

For what it's worth, the symbol is unicode symbol 29B5. I can put it into a document by entering '⦵' into the source view. Then in normal view, you can copy it and paste it, make a fragment, etc. 

If you use XeLaTeX instead of pdfLaTeX, it will be output, but I think you will have to look for quite a while to find a font that displays it. It's frustrating -- I can see the symbol in the Mac TextEdit program, the equivalent of Notepad for the Mac -- but I can't find an OpenType font that includes it.

--Barry

pviton's picture

That's a very interesting use

That's a very interesting use of Source View: I'd thought of suggesting that he put his code into an encapsulated tex file; but then it doesn't seem possible in swp6 --- as it is in swp5 --- to make that into a fragment. So it would have been quite clumsy to work with. But your SourceView suggestion gets around that.

Are there other clever uses of Source View? It would be nice to see a discussion of what you can do here --- I'd always wondered why this view had been so prominently available in SWP6. Are there similar uses of the XML Tags view?

I'm not sure what you mean by

I'm not sure what you mean by "plimsoll" symbol.  The document you reference has an index entry for "Plimsoll line" that points to page 227.  This page contains a macro to create the \barcirc character.  If this is what you want, then you would just need to place the macro definition in the body of the document inside an encapsulated TeX field, then add the character using a TeX field containing \barcirc.  Use the same procedure for Versions 5.5 or 6.

berntl's picture

George... the pdf file I

George... the pdf file I referred to (p. 227) contains the following "code":

\makeatletter
\providecommand\barcirc{\mathpalette\@barred\circ}
\def\@barred#1#2{\ooalign{\hfil$#1-$\hfil\cr\hfil$#1#2$\hfil\cr}}
\newcommand\stst{^{\protect\barcirc}}
\makeatother

Do you mean that I can simply put this into an encapsulated TeX field somewhere in the document, e.g. in the notation section? And then add the symbol using an (un-encapsulate) TeX field that contains "\barcirc"?? Is it that simple?

What about "\stst"? What does that command do?

\stst places \barcirc in a

\stst places \barcirc in a superscript position.  See the attached.

berntl's picture

Thanks a lot, George!

Thanks a lot, George!