Missing DLL ???

jsmeyer's picture

When I tried to preview the pdf of a document that had a computed figure in it, the following error message appeared.
"The program can't start because VCOMP.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Any suggestions besides reinstalling SWP6.09 on my Windows 7 OS machine?
Pax
Jim Meyer

VCOMP.DLL is not installed

VCOMP.DLL is not installed with our program, so reinstalling won't change anything.  A web search for VCOMP.DLL indicates it's a Microsoft redistributal file.  I couldn't find a straightforward recipe for fixing this, there are several articles with somewhat different information.  It's not clear what exactly is causing the problem from your description.  It could be a graphics conversion process, or maybe even something when displaying the PDF.

pviton's picture

Yes, George is right, there

Yes, George is right, there are lots of postings on this, but personally I'd be nervous about doing anything like downloading a system dll other than from an official Microsoft site (or from someone I trust).

One thing to check is whether the dll is missing at all: if not, then maybe it's a registry problem, as some posts suggest. On my win7 Enterprise (64bit) computer I see in c:\windows\system32:

06/11/2011 12:58 AM 51,024 vcomp100.dll
11/06/2012 01:20 AM 125,904 vcomp110.dll

If yours really is missing and you'd like to experiment, I'd be glad to send you copies of these.

Added: the following seems to contain some sane advice:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/vcomp-dll-not-found-m...

jsmeyer's picture

I will likely take you up on

I will likely take you up on that when I am feeling considerably more adventurous. In the meantime, I may try to pinpoint the difficulty. And thanks for the good advice link.
Appreciatively,
Jim Meyer

I think I would lean towards

I think I would lean towards using a Microsoft download and that provides the C++ redistributable files.  I found:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2977003

I believe the Windows compiler we currently use is part of Visual Studio 2005, so I'd start with that version and see if that fixes the problem. 

jsmeyer's picture

Thank you, George. I am

Thank you, George. I am always surprised when I look at installed programs and find what seems like several million C++ redistributable files. When I get more courageous I will explore your advice.
Pax
Jim Meyer

jsmeyer's picture

A file search from Win 7

A file search from Win 7 found VCOMP100.DLL and VCOMP120.DLL, each appearing twice.
Pax
Jim Meyer