two column mode doesn't work

As stated. When I select two columns and close the dialog, there's no effect upon typesetting and if I open the dialog again it says 1 column.

John MacKendrick's picture

As an alternative, choose

As an alternative, choose Typeset, Options and Packages, Class Options, Modify, select Columns from the Category list, and choose the Two columns option. 

Thanks. That did work. Still,

Thanks. That did work. Still, the other method should!

pviton's picture

Which SWP version / operating

Which SWP version / operating system? For me, swp 6.07 on MS windows, this works fine: in the std latex article, do Doc Format, uncheck Enable Overriding, and then set Columns to 2.

That's exactly what I did,

That's exactly what I did, and I get exactly the behavior I stated.
I tried again just now. No change. The picture in the middle of that dialog doesn't change to indicate two columns when I switch to two columns, and when I typeset there aren't two columns, and when I return to that dialog, it says one column. And yes, this is 6.07 on Windows.

The problem may be document

The problem may be document specific.  Post a sample document where you see the problem.  I've seen correct behavior, so the cause of the problem is either the document or your installation.

This one has the behavior

This one has the behavior mentioned.

I didn't have any problem

I didn't have any problem adding the twocolumn option and then typesetting and seeing expected results.

That doesn't help me. It

That doesn't help me. It doesn't work here. I just upgraded to 6.12 and it still DOESN'T WORK. The dialog shows the popup saying two columns when I make it so, but the picture of the page in the dialog does not change. When I click OK and reopen the dialog it says one column on the popup.

As discussed earlier in this

As discussed earlier in this thread, use Typeset, Options and Packages to select two columns.

I want the software to

I want the software to actually work.