pdf preview tab does not work

Hello to everybody.
I have already installed SWP 6.0.5. But now the pdf preview tab does not work with any of the two options (the default program for viewing pdf files and the current pdf plugin). PDF Plugin for Firefox is installed and enabled and Adobe Reader is installed too (and works). No window appears, the program simply does nothing. Does anyone know what to do?. Thank you so much.

John MacKendrick's picture

If you can compile one of the

If you can compile one of the standard shells, then it is likely that the problem is with the file itself/

If not, then it is likely that the LaTeX system did not install correctly.

After trying to compile, choose View, TeX File. Is a file there? If so, choose View, TeX Log. If there is a .log file there, it will probably have hints as to why the file did not compile. If not, then it is almost certainly the case that the LaTeX system did not install correctly.

If you have a LaTeX system, and you are using Windows, then you can modify the file pdflatex.cmd. It will be necessary to copy it from its current location, which is likely either c:\Program Files\MacKichan\SWP or c:\Program Files (x386)\MacKichan\SWP, change it, and then copy it back.

You will want to change the line that reads

set path="%MSITEXBIN%"

so that "%MSITEXBIN%" is replaced with a path to the location of pdflatex.exe.

Alternatively, you can install TeX Live separately and reinstall our software. Here are the steps for doing this:

Here are the steps to install TeX Live first and then SW without the TeX Live install:

Please disable any antivirus software. Note that if you are behind a firewall, this will cause problems with installing TeXLive.

1. For Windows, visit http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html. On that page, click the link to install-tl-windows.exe to download the install file.

For Mac, visit http://tug.org/mactex/mactex-download.html. Click the link to MacTeX.pkg to download this install file.

2. When the download is complete, double-click to start the install. Follow the default installation instructions. Wait until the installation is complete, which may take an hour or more.

3. Start the SW/SWP installation. Be sure to use the current installer from our Downloads page.

4. On the Select Components dialog turn off "TeX Live Network Install"

5. For Windows: On the TeX Installation Directory change the selected default from C:\texlive\2015msi to c:\texlive\2015\. That is, delete "msi" from the end of the default suggested directory so it matches the actual TeXLive installation directory.

For Mac: On the TeX Installation Directory change the selected default from /usr/local/texlive/2015msi to /usr/local/texlive/2015. That is, delete "msi" from the end of the default suggested directory so it matches the actual TeXLive installation directory.

6. Use the default selections for the remaining dialogs. Wait for the installation to complete. Be sure to Activate to enable full functionality.

Hello, and thanks very much

Hello, and thanks very much for your comment.
At the moment I am working with the "standard latex article". It compiles but then, the program no longer does anything. There is a "tex" but not "tex.log" file. Moreover, not let me change the "pdflatex.cmd" file (access denied).
With the second option, I tried to install the "install-tl-windows.exe" file but always ends up giving error.
I then used the SWP installer , but only the "texlive", and then the rest of the program. But as usual.
Anyway, thanks for your help. If they don't give to me another solution, I'll have to stay with version 5.5.

pviton's picture

Does this happen with the Std

Does this happen with the Std Latex Article? If so, then I've no suggestions. But if it's only with something that you imported (or perhaps tried to enter yourself), then you need to be aware that if the document fails to compile (eg because of a missing latex package) then after compilation --- which appears to go without problems --- SWP sits there doing nothing. If you suspect this is what's happening you can look at the TeX Log (on the View menu) to see if there are any clues.

To developers: I think that some effort should be made to deal with the case when the compilation fails. At least under Windows, the TexLive compiler has a return code that indicates success or not. It would be helpful if this information could be used.