Title in bold

jm's picture

When I open the Standard_LaTeX_Article shell, select the title and choose bold font, the title does not appear in bold in PDF Preview. I am using a Mac running OS X.

How can I get the title in boldface font?

jm's picture

I have moved this reply to

I have moved this reply to where it should be.

pviton's picture

Isn't this governed by the

Isn't this governed by the latex class or package setup, not by SWP? If you want section titles, I think the titlesec package will do this for you. If, as I suspect, it's the article title you're interested in, you could try to modify the code for \@maketitle (in article.cls). The following should work:

In the preamble:

\makeatletter
\def\@maketitle{%
\newpage
\null
\vskip 2em%
\begin{center}%
\let \footnote \thanks
{\LARGE \textbf{\@title} \par}% <--- textbf added
\vskip 1.5em%
{\large
\lineskip .5em%
\begin{tabular}[t]{c}%
\@author
\end{tabular}\par}%
\vskip 1em%
{\large \@date}%
\end{center}%
\par
\vskip 1.5em}
\makeatother

jm's picture

In standard TeX, I don't

In standard TeX, I don't think this is actually governed by the latex class or package setup. Certainly, if I directly edit the LaTeX of a standard LaTeX article style document and tag the title as boldface, pdfLaTeX makes it appear as boldface in the resulting PDF. The same applies in SWP 5.5. Moreover, even if what you suggest is the intention, SWP 6.0.3 is inconsistent about its handling of from matter: if I tag the author name as bold, it appears in bold in PDF Preview. It is just the title for which this does not work. So I think there is an issue to be addressed.

But, as a stopgap, I'll try what you suggest.

I still had SW 6.0.2

I still had SW 6.0.2 installed and bold in the title works in this version.  Looks like it doesn't work now.  So, this is a bug.  Seems to be in the conversion from xhtml to LaTeX since <bold> does appear if you inspect the source view.