trailing dots in table of contents

jherman's picture

I'm looking to add the trailing dots to the preliminary pages and the chapter pages in the table of contents. I can't seem to find the command/package which allows me to do this. I'm not real experienced with this, and am currently just using an encapsulated TeX field with the command \tableof contents to generate the toc.

AttachmentSize
TOC.pdf36.98 KB

Try this: Add the tocloft

Try this:

Add the tocloft package and to the document preamble add the line:

\renewcommand{\cftchapleader}{\cftdotfill{\cftdotsep}}

This may not work if you are using some specialized typesetting specification, but if you are using book or report this should be okay.

jherman's picture

It's giving me the attached

It's giving me the attached error message.

My only guess is that you are

My only guess is that you are not using one of the standard LaTeX typesetting specifications.  I can't tell what exactly is happening or offer a suggestion with only the information in the screen capture.  Post a sample document that shows the problem.

jherman's picture

Would you like to see the TeX

Would you like to see the TeX document or the typeset document, or ....? Thanks for taking the effort to help.

The document (.tex) file. 

The document (.tex) file.  The typeset results do not help in finding out the typesetting specification used by the document.

jherman's picture

Here is a sample .tex file

Here is a sample .tex file with the added package and change to the preamble. Deleting that modification, and the file will typeset, but without the dots on all the table of contents.

jherman's picture

To close the loop on this, I

To close the loop on this, I ultimately fixed this problem by recreating the document in a report shell instead of a thesis shell. In the new file, the command given above did generate the dots for the chapter listings. I think the issue was incompatibility of various commands and packages added by a multitude of people (myself included) to crunch other issues.

I'm glad you were able to

I'm glad you were able to solve this.  Trying to resolve conflicts like this one can be incredible time sinks.