Refence Page Number in TOC

grey's picture

Dear Helpers,

I am using BibTex Harvard with apalike. When I create TOC, the page number after Reference is in stupid Format as shown in the Attachement.

Also, when I typeset in pdf, I have "(Chapter head:)*" appearing.

How do I make References automatically a Chapter Head ?!!!

Many thanks!!

AttachmentSize
Ref in TOC.jpg23.41 KB
grey's picture

Oh My God, this is so

Oh My God, this is so complicated!

According to that DOS Command procedure, I have managed to generate Reference for each Chapter, But now the in-line Figure does NOT show!!!

I think we have talked about so much about the best format to insert graph, but George, how could I fix the problem here... really frustrating...

My graphs are generated by Excel and Stata, and I saved them in .WMF format and inserted as in-line figure. What is the best way then to keep them in the master file??!!

Thank you so much George! It is really nice of you!!!

Having "(Chapter head:)*"

Having "(Chapter head:)*" appear in the typeset results probably means that you are using an article style typesetting specification, but the chapter division is defined.  The chapter division is defined by tcilatex.tex to avoid LaTeX errors, but this can cause a side effect when a typesetting specification tests for the existance of the chapter division.

Try adding the following to an encapsulated TeX field in a Body Text paragraph before the bibliography:

\let\chapter\undefined

If this also does not correct the TOC entry, then you will need to post a sample .tex file that shows the problem.

grey's picture

Dear

Dear George,

"\let\chapter\undefined" does fix the numbering Problem in TOC.

However "Reference" now appears as Section heading. Is there a way to make it a Subsetion heading?

As I am compling three papers as one Thesis. Each paper is now a section. And references for each paper should be subsection.

Thank you very much!

Bests!

The chapter/section heading

The chapter/section heading level for the bibliography is controlled by the typesetting specification.  It should be possible to redefine the macros for the bibliography to change the section heading to a subsection heading.  Knowing the exact typesetting specification being used by the document would be needed.  The bibliography macros may be using the LaTeX class default, or they my already be overridden at some other level.  Post a sample document.

grey's picture

Thanks George! Where do i

Thanks George!

Where do i find the "exact typesetting specification " to post?

And, in the front matter, how do I force the "List of Figures", "List of Tables" and "Table of Content" to start on a new page?

Thank you!

The typesetting specification

The typesetting specification is selected by the shell document that you use when you create a new document.  You can use Typeset, Options and Packages to see the document class and any added packages.  This along with anything in the document preamble would set the typesetting specifications.  TeX fields in the body of the document could also potentially change the typesetting specifications.

Sounds like you really want to start using either a book or report shell.  Article shells typically start section headings immediately after the previous text, while book/report shells will start chapters on a new page.  Forcing LOF, LOT, and TOC would involve deleting the tags from the front matter, adding the corresponding LaTeX commands inside encapsulated TeX fields in the body of the document, and then also adding page breaks between as needed.

grey's picture

George you are absolutely

George you are absolutely right! I should convert to a book Shell. And good Shell recommended?

I solve the new page Problem of LOT, and TOC. Thanks!

However, in each paper, figures and tabels are listed from Number 1 onwards. And in the text I refer to These tables from Number 1 onwards.

Now all three papers are combined, all tables are numbered together. This means, for paper 2, tables start with number 13 onwards. But in the text the referred number is not automatically updated. How could I solved this?

My typesettings in the Master file are:
Latex is article.
Class Options: 12pt, a4paper
Package Options:graphicx, setspace, caption, layout, Harvard, apalike, rotating

How could I then Change the BibTex macro to make it appearing as subsection?

Many many thanks!

Starting with a book or

Starting with a book or report shell should solve the table figure numbering as they are typically numbered like C.# where C is the chapter number and # is the figure or table number within the chapter.

To automatically refer to a figure, you would add a key to the figure and then add a cross reference to that figure.  When the document is typeset the cross reference will resolve to the correct figure number.

The harvard and apalike packages both affect the bibliography.  Including both packages might cause a conflict.

As to the shell to select, if you don't have a publisher telling you to use a specific typesetting specification, then choosing one of the standard LaTeX typesetting specifications is generally best.

grey's picture

Dear George, Thanks so

Dear George,

Thanks so much!

I am using the Standard LaTex Book and some options and packages.

One thing changed from Article shell: how do I add References through BibTex in this Book shell? It is supposed to be in the "backmatter". But how to typeset that?

I appreciate a lot!

Bests

BibTeX bibliographies are

BibTeX bibliographies are done the same way when starting with either an article or a book shell.  Use Typeset, Bibliography Choice to select BibTeX, then you can add citations using the BibTeX form of the dialog and use Insert, Typeset Object, Bibliography to add the BibTeX field to the document.  You can then use Typeset, Compile and turn on the generate bibliography check box.

grey's picture

Thank you George! Indeed as

Thank you George! Indeed as you said.

However, references after each Chapter now still appreas as section. I wonder if it is possible to edit it so it shown as subsection.

Thanks!!!!

I don't understand why you

I don't understand why you would want the bibliography as subsection rather than section.  Attached is a modified version of the Standard LaTeX Book shell that redefines the standard bibliography environment to typeset the bibliography as sections.  The change to make this happen is in the document preamble.  If you also want the unnumbered subsection to appear in the TOC, then an addition to the bibliography redefinition would be needed.  Also, changing the name used for the bibliography environment (currently "Bibliography") can be easily done.

grey's picture

This is great George! Thank

This is great George! Thank you! I thought that even reference is not numbered, it should belong to the chapter (section) as a subsection. But maybe you are right. It looks nicer when it is on the level of section.

Last three question, hopefully!:
1. using this book shell, there are empty pages that are numbered, eg. page 6 and page 12 in the modified version you attached.

2. How could I get rid off the "page header" on the up right corner of each page, eg. "LIST OF TABLES"on page 4. I tried to use "no space for header" in package "geometry". Did not work.

3. Also, how could then get rid off headers at all, and generate page number always on the bottom center of each page?

I appreciate so much your patients and help! This is actually my Doctoral dissertation which I will submit very soon. :-)

Thanks again!

1. The book default is to

1. The book default is to start new chapters on odd numbered pages.  This can be changed using a class option.  Use Typeset, Options and Packages, choose the Class Options tab, click the Modify button and from the Category "Start chapter on left" select Yes.  If you are printing single sided, then you will probably also want to use the Category "Print side" and select one side.

2. The book typesetting specification uses the page style "headings" which adds the running header.  You can add "\pagestyle{plain}" (without the quotes) to the document preamble.

3. Answered in 2 above.  These would have been the defaults if you had started with report rather than book.  The book typesetting specification adds some features above report with respect to using the frontmatter and mainmatter elements, but if you are not using those anyways, report is probably more appropriate.

grey's picture

Dear George, Thank you so

Dear George,

Thank you so much for the help!

Here Comes another Problem. For each chapter (each paper) I have individual References. So I insert BibTex after each chapter. However, the compile only generates references for the first chapter, for the rest two chapters references are just repeated from the first chapter. If I delete references from the first chapter, BibTex does not generate reference at all.

What happened here with the book Shell then?

Thanks!!!!

BibTeX is designed to be used

BibTeX is designed to be used only once in a document.  To have multiple BibTeX bibliographies in a document then you must use the chapterbib package.  See http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/v30/30ts47.htm for how to use the package with SW.

grey's picture

Oh My God, this is so Oh My

Oh My God, this is so
Oh My God, this is so complicated!

According to that DOS Command procedure, I have managed to generate Reference for each Chapter, But now the in-line Figure does NOT show!!!

I think we have talked about so much about the best format to insert graph, but George, how could I fix the problem here... really frustrating...

My graphs are generated by Excel and Stata, and I saved them in .WMF format and inserted as in-line figure. What is the best way then to keep them in the master file??!!

Thank you so much George! It is really nice of you!!!

Not sure why the graphics

Not sure why the graphics wouldn't show.  I don't know that using chapterbib would be related to the graphics not appearing.

grey's picture

Dear George, I attach my file

Dear George,

I attach my file (simplified) with the graphs I have.

Would you please be so kind have a look at them?

Thannnnk You!

Bests

See

See http://www.mackichan.com/techtalk/613.htm for a discussion and the solution to the issue with the graphics you are seeing.  Since you are using a master document with subdocuments you need to make sure the graphics are available in the correct format when compiling for PDF

grey's picture

Many thanks George. The

Many thanks George.

The figures are mixed up in the wrong order.
This is very complicated and not Handy.

Not sure what you mean by

Not sure what you mean by wrong order.  If LaTeX cannot place a floating object near where it is located in the document, it will push the object to the end of the chapter (for books/reports).  However, it will never reorder floating objects of the same type.